INTERCULTURALISM THROUGH OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES
City of Destination: Greece
Training venue: Heraklion Crete
Duration (days): 6 (from Monday to Saturday)
Language of communication: English
20-25 April, 2020
10-15 August, 2020
5-10 October, 2020
19-24 April, 2021
16-21 August, 2021
21- 26 February, 2022
16-21 May, 2022
> Target group
- Teachers of primary schools, secondary schools, vocational schools and organizations
- Adult education teachers
- Teachers of special needs
- Teacher trainers
- Careers officers, educational guides and counsellors
- Headmasters/principals/managers of schools and organizations offering adult education or vocational education and organizations
- Non-governmental organization staff
- Public Servants, Policy Makers.
> Course objectives
During the course, participants will:
-use museums as a resource in teaching and learning
– engage visitors in learning experiences and enhance their curiosity and interest of the cultural values of a place
– acquire knowledge and skills in cultural sightseeing in one place
– be informed about the role, objectives and benefits of Museum Education
– get in touch with educational programmes in museums and archeological sites in Crete
– visit the Palace of Knossos, the archaeological museum of Heraklion and the Natural History Museum of Crete
– encourage enthusiasm and motivation for learning in the field of museum education
– examine examples of good practice of outdoor museum education from participants’ countries
– study the framework and characteristics of Museum Education
– discuss the integration of Museum Education activities/programmes across the areas of curriculum in conjunction with the school policy and pupils’ age and abilities
– examine the steps of implementing school visits and organizing activities in museums and archaeological sites
– Know of the cultural values of a place
– develop of communication skills
– Identify cultural tourism
– develop of the ability to act for the local community
– motivate the participation of them in educational and cultural spheres of the country as well as to boost the international cooperation.
This 6 days course gives participants theoretical background about Museum Education, as well as practical guidelines to integrate activities and implement programmes across the areas of curriculum and school life.
There is also the possibility to extend the course to 7 days.
- group work
- educational games
- role play
- mental map
- from activity to discussion
- guided tours
- cooperative learning
- learning by doing
- creative processing
- knowledge transfer
- Museums teach, encourage critical thinking skills
- Museusm teach empathy and other generally important skills and dispositions
- Museums make you feel good
- Museums make you smarter
- Museums encourage creativity
- Museums are life-long learning environments
- Museums help people in acquiring perfection in life
- Museums provide an effective way of learning
- Museums offer historical lessons not taught in schools
- Museums spark curiosity
- Museums inspire and provide open communication of ideas, concepts and information involving exploration and discovery
- Museums are an opportunity to spend time with friends and family
At the end of the course the participants will:
- understand the principles of non-formal learning and non-formal learning museum outdoor education programs
- acquire the necessary skills to familiarize visitors of a museum with different forms of cultural heritage
- be able to make use of visits to museums and cultural sites with the best possible benefit in the educational process
- acquire knowledge and skills to help them enrich their teaching practices
This course seeks to encourage teachers to learn and appreciate the culture of other European countries. It is the aim of the course to promote this awareness by involving people from different countries in working together to resolve challenges based on outdoor activities, promote awareness of minoan civilization.
Our project is aimed to promote intercultural diaolgue by sharing the ideas on the other countries’ lifestyles, cultures, celebrations, religions, habits, so to improve mutual understanding and to break the barriers and restrictions set in our mind by exchanging knowledge on a common website.
The course is implemented by experienced and specialized educators.
All costs can be supported with a grant under Key Action 1 of the Erasmus+ programme.
Course fee: 420 euro
Organisational Support: 200 euro
The course fee and the organisational costs are to be paid by bank transfer, before the course starts, to a limit date established by the course organiser.
The course fee must be paid 45 days prior to the start of the course.
We charge an all-inclusive fee of 130 euro per participant per day.
The program includes:
- transfer to and from the airport
- full board accommodation
- training and working materials
- cultural activities
- entrance to all the museums
- monitoring and evaluation
- Europass Mobility
Upon completion of the course, each participant will be awarded a certificate of attendance, with a Europass Mobility Certificate.
Location: Heraklion Crete Greece
- By plane
Many different companies fly into Heraklion and Chania
TRAVELLING TO HERAKLION, CRETE GREECE
Heraklion is the main and largest city of the island of Crete, with a total population of 173,993 inhabitants, being the fourth largest city in Greece.
Heraklion International Airport is located 5 kilometers east of the city center of Heraklion.
- Heraklion International Airport Nikos Kazantzakis is the main international airport of the Greek island of Crete. Heraklion Airport is named after the well-known Greek writer and philosopher Nikos Kazantzakis, who was born in Heraklion.
TRAVELLING TO CHANIA, CRETE GREECE
- Chania International Airport, “Ioannis Daskalogiannis” is an international airport located near Souda Bay, 15 km from the city of Chania. Chania Airport is located also 185 kilometers away from Heraklion Airport. There is a public bus service between the city of Chania and the airport.
- by boat from Athens Greece
For further information, please contact us at email@example.com